Wednesday 27 April 2011

Sorry... I don't know your name

There are so many people who touch our lives in one way or the other. The family and friends fall in the prime and lucky category for the reason that they know and are often acknowledged and appreciated.

Beyond these two categories of angels, there are so many people who make our lives a lot easier... everyday. One such person in my life happened to be the rickshaw- wallah who promptly waved everyday on seeing me and knew exactly where I would go and how much would I pay for that (the pain of bargaining nullified :))

On one just- another- morning, as I stepped out of my house, I couldn't see the same man. Without thinking even once, I took another rickshaw and headed towards the bus stop. The same evening, as soon as I reached the bus stand for taking a rickshaw. the rickshaw- wallah appeared on the scene just like any other day. Only the rickshaw looking strikingly different. Wow! a new rickshaw? I inquired. I bought it just yesterday. Have laddoos, Madam! I wanted to give you the first ride in the morning itself. But you took another rickshaw today, he replied with a smile. I promptly said, You were not there Bhaiya! I was there only Madam and I called out on you, too. Only that I had parked my Rickshaw under the tree. These decorative laces are so expensive. I must take care of them, came a concerned reply. I was already feeling both delighted and sorry. Delighted because I was considered important by a stranger and sorry because I could see in his eyes how strictly he had saved the money for a rickshaw with all those laces and frills. You should have called on me aloud, I remarked!

No use Madamji! There is so much of noise in the traffic and so many madamjis go to work these days. I am sorry, I don't know your name either.Therefore I waited till the evening. Come on... we should hurry up now! be seated and eat your laddoo... You'll be home in no time today .

I came back home with a strange feeling and the taste of the laddoo still lingered in my mouth. With this post, I guess the rickshaw- wallah bhaiya has been awarded his share of justice.

3 comments:

  1. Hey . This is really a good piece of work and it also suggest me to give my tribute to someone. Even though I don't know their names but those all were really need a thank from my side. All the strangers in Indian railway who enjoyed so many journeys with me sine last 25 + years without them It was always difficult to make a single long journey. Thanks Shruti making it as a platform for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, there are so many touched and unsaid stories who makes us very special in one sense and happy in other. But all these feelings deep inside us and inspire us to do good for others too..Nice Post...

    ReplyDelete