Monday 26 November 2012

No Walls... Only Bridges


"Dad! why are they building a wall? How will I now see their lovely Sunflowers every morning?" said Ann pointing towards their neighbor's boundary wall being constructed.

"They need to protect their house, honey! Its their property and they have to take care of it", John said in a plain voice while struggling through the work on his laptop. Not convinced with what she heard in reply, Ann moved closer to their gate and asked inquisitively, "how many of my drawing rulers do I need to join to connect our gate to theirs?"

"Will you please finish your breakfast Ann? We are getting late for school and your teacher is going to give you that stern look again! No tantrums please. Finish your meal fast!", said John like any father of a 5 years old.

On their way to school, Ann asked the same question again. "I am a good girl today, Dad and we are in time as well. Please tell me, how many rulers?"

"Almost 20 rulers Ann. Now can you please share your secret idea with me?"

Ann smiled lovingly on finally getting her answer. "Can you please help me in joining all the twenty rulers and create a secret path to those Sunflowers? I love them, dad! And am sure, they love me too! They wait for me every morning and stand waiting for me. Please dad! can we?"

John was delighted at her innocence and said, "Its called a bridge, honey! But am afraid that our neighbors won't really like it. Its their choice to block the view and we should let them. Don't you think so?"

By now, they had reached Ann's school and the happy goodbye took place like everyday. On his way to office, John was subconsciously thinking about Ann's question. On reaching office, he got busy with his work and Ann's question had totally escaped his mind until one of his colleagues showed up during lunch break.

"Hey Smith! How have you been? Didn't see you for long."

"Aah... my plights don't find an end, John."

"Is it Smita again?"

John could see the pain and anger in his eyes but could not decide if he should say what had just come to his mind. What if he finds it interfering and feels like I am invading his privacy, John thought to himself. The urge to speak up got stronger and the words almost rushed out of his mouth and before he knew, they stood tall and loud on his lips.

"Smith! You should talk to her. There is only this silence between you two that's ruining your lives.No mistake is too big to be forgiven when your relationship is at stake."

Smith stared in blank and John desperately wished if ctrl+z would just work and things resume their older version. Breaking the silence, Smith said, "maybe you are right, John! Maybe I have not put in the appropriate effort that Smita's broken heart deserves. But what if she declines to talk to me?"

"You will at least know where you stand. But for Smita, I know, she isn't that tough at heart and definitely not in your case!"

Smith stood up with double the energy he sat down with as if it was this moment that he was waiting for and those words of John were sent from heaven for him. "I must see her now. Can you please take care of my work post lunch?", said Smith winking at John.

"Do I have an option, Smith?"

As Smith hurried out of the cafeteria, John shouted,"Hey Smith! No walls..only bridges!"

2 comments:

  1. Hmm!! Beautifully said , Communication gap is like walls we need bridges every time. Short and sweet one...

    ReplyDelete